Community Resource Volunteers (CRVs or Volunteers)
CRVs have been identified throughout Utah. Each of our Volunteers is provided training, resource information and staff support to help them reach and assist parents of children with disabilities in their area.
Some of the activities in which our CRVs might choose to be involved in include:
- Serving as a support person to parents of children with disabilities/special needs.
- Gathering information about services available in their area and how to access those services.
- Determining specific needs of their community and help to obtain appropriate training from the Utah Parent Center or other professionals to meet those needs.
- Supporting, promoting and, if needed, organizing local activities of Utah Parent Center programs and projects.
- Providing support and assistance to parents support groups in their area.
- Identifying and helping parents of children with disabilities/special needs to access support and services (i.e. support groups, community organizations, medical services, etc.).
- Actively working to promote a positive, effective partnership between the parents, their school and other professionals that serve their child.
- Becoming familiar with the special education process and being prepared to support parents as they participate as team members to determine the appropriate educational program for their child.
- Communicating with the district special education director and other professionals in various agencies as needed to help resolve parental concerns and sustain collaborative efforts.
Family to Family Network
The Utah Parent Center’s Family to Family Network is a grassroots volunteer organization composed of family leaders in various communities across Utah who have a relative with a disability.
The mission of the Family to Family Networks is to educate, strengthen and support families of persons with disabilities. They can help you by providing:
- support through local monthly meetings, either in-person or online.
- information and referral.
- family to family support.
- advocacy for families.
- help to families who qualify or may be eligible for services from the Utah State Division of Services for People with Disabilities (DSPD) and help them understand programs and services and how to work with service providers and support coordinators.
For more information, visit their website: www.utahfamilytofamilynetwork.org