What Are Daily Living Skills?
Daily Living Skills Are:
- A wide range of personal and self-care activities we use at home, in the community, school, and work
- We must use these skills regularly to maintain our well-being
- These skills can lead to more inclusion and integration in the community
How can we improve Daily Living Skills?
- Identify where your young adult spends most of their time each day
- Discuss whether their current schedule is adequate and beneficial to meeting their desires
- Identify areas where improvement can be made
- Set a goal
- Make a plan to achieve the goal
- Determine what aids are necessary and/or beneficial to achieving the goal
- The Utah Assistive Technology Teams (UATT) can help with assistive technology
How can we practice these skills daily?
- Work on areas you and your youth are most interested in first
- Practice skills at home and then generalize that skill when out in public
- As the individual masters the skill, expand the process and challenge them
- Be encouraging and supportive, but fade support as the individual progresses to allow more independence
- The Utah Independent Living Center is a resource to assist people with disabilities to become more independent