Students Learning Self Advocacy
It is back-to-school season and the perfect opportunity for your student to practice self-advocacy!
Making an individual’s wants and needs heard, may seem difficult and intimidating at times. However, your student’s thoughts, desires, and opinions are valuable; every student deserves to be heard.
A perfect opportunity to help your students practice valuable advocacy skills is by encouraging them to take the lead in their Individualized Education Plan (IEP). Have your student:
- Determine who they would like to attend the meeting
- Prepare and practice what they plan to say prior to the IEP meeting
- Share their unique story
- State their academic desires
- Discuss social goals
- Share their interests
- Discuss long-term and short-term goals
- Get creative by sharing pictures and videos
Remember, practice makes perfect!
- Be persistent
- Be patient
- Do not get discouraged
- Do not give up
Every time your student practices self-advocac