Advocating with Your Legislators
The legislature is in session from January 18 to March 4, 2022. During that time they will discuss a large number of issues, many of which affect people with disabilities and their families. Follow the steps below to get involved in advocating for issues that affect you or your loved ones.
- Find out who the legislators are in your area. Go to https://le.utah.gov/ and click on My Legislators. There you can find their contact information and their committee assignments.
- Make contact with your legislator by phone, email or in-person. If you want support in sharing your story with your legislator, use this template to help you formulate your message or watch this video, Tell Me Your Story – How to Advocate with Legislators.
- Attend a legislative session in person or virtually. To find out the schedule of meetings, go to https://le.utah.gov/ and click on the Calendar. Sign up to provide public comment or testimony by using the meeting link provided in the Calendar.
- Join a disability advocacy organization. You can keep updated on the issues and have the power of a group voice. A few options include:
- Attend Disability Advocacy Day on January 19th at 9 am.
- Attend the Annual Legislative Reception at the Capitol Rotunda on January 19th, 4:30-5:45 pm.
Remember, your legislators represent YOU, so make sure they know how you feel about the issues being discussed and voted on by the legislature this year.