TITLE: Youth in Custody (YIC) Specialist serving YIC in Provo School District Boundaries
LOCATION: Provo School District Office, Utah Parent Center Main Office in Murray, UT
JOB STATUS: Permanent, Full-time (for determination of benefits only); 40 hrs/per week
PAY RATE: $22.39/hour – includes benefit allotment
OPENING DATE: Monday, April 25, 2022
CLOSING DATE: Wednesday, May 18, 2022 or When Filled with a Qualified Candidate
GENERAL JOB SUMMARY:
As an employee of the Utah Parent Center (UPC or Center), works from the Provo School District office or the UPC as a neutral party to assist Youth in Custody and their parents/guardians within Provo School District boundaries; Provide information, referral, training, and support to surrogate parents, guardians, families and youth in custody to help them navigate the education system to resolve issues and help meet their needs, including information on the navigation of educational placement decisions, understanding the concept of specially designed instruction, and the concept of a “Free Appropriate Public Education” (FAPE) as outlined in the Utah State Board of Education’s Special Education Rules and the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA); Utilize the UPC’s research- and evidence-based training curricula and materials as well as other approved information (by UPC Supervisor and/or District Liaison) adapting with permission when necessary for the District & Train and build capacity for surrogate parents available to fulfill this role within the Provo City School District Boundaries; provides information and peer support to parents/guardians and YIC to help them work appropriately within the school system to resolve issues and meet their needs; provides information and referral to various agencies, service providers; Attend District meetings, training, and other activities as requested/required by the District Liaison; Attends UPC staff meetings, training, and some other activities with Center staff.
GENERAL JOB RELATIONSHIPS:
- Responsible directly to the UPC Associate Director and/or Project Coordinators, in collaboration with Provo School District’s Youth in Custody Services Director and staff.
- Works cooperatively with all staff members, volunteers, and Board members.
- Works collaboratively with Youth in Custody, parents/guardians/surrogate parents, and professionals from various agencies and in the community.
A qualified candidate:
- Required: Must be the parent of a child, youth or young adult with a disability – parent-to-parent model of service delivery.
- Residing within Provo School District’s boundaries is preferred, but not required.
- Successfully undergo a background check.
- Must have prior knowledge or experience with Special Education regulations and the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA) and understand parents’ special education procedural safeguards/rights and the IEP process.
- Must demonstrate the ability to communicate well, verbally and in writing.
- Must have computer and word processing skills, ability to access and use online resources and databases.
- Must accommodate flexible scheduling (early mornings, evenings and weekends sometimes required).
- Will travel across the state and service area, as needed, with the use of reliable personal vehicle and driver’s insurance (required).
- Has good organizational and problem-solving skills as well as the ability to facilitate effective conflict resolution.
- Has experience in effective public speaking and presentation skills.
- Has knowledge of services and programs available for parents of children and youth with disabilities.
- High school diploma required (minimum) plus experience.
TO APPLY, SUBMIT (by email, fax, mail, or in person):
- Cover Letter describing interest in and qualifications for the position.
- Current resume’ with personal and employment references.
Please include both the letter and resume’ when responding.
An application will be required from qualified candidates selected for an interview.
Utah Parent Center
Attention: Esperanza Reyes
5296 S. Commerce Dr., Suite 302, Murray, Utah 84107